USF Bulls Stampede Past the Ospreys for a 4-2 Victory
The University of South Florida baseball scored runs in the fourth and fifth to take a 4-2 lead and the bullpen tossed a scoreless final 4.2 innings to earn a win over North Florida Wednesday night.
The Bulls (30-7, 5-4 American) scored twice in the first, as senior(Winter Haven, Fla.) brought in the game’s first run on a triple to center. He was brought home to make it 2-0 early.
But the Ospreys (24-15, 7-2 ASUN) tied things in the third. USF responded with runs in the fourth and fifth to take a 4-2 edge. After two-straight walks to begin the bottom of the fifth, senior righty(Tampa) recorded three-straight outs including two-straight strikeouts.
The hosts led off both the seventh and eighth with doubles, but the USF bullpen punched out three-consecutive batters in each inning. UNF put two men on in the eighth, but sophomore(Orlando) was able to close the door for his fifth save of the season.
• Junior(Odessa, Fla.) went 2-for-4 with two doubles and two runs scored.
• Borders went 2-for-4 with a run and two RBI. He hit his third triple of the season.
• Sophomore(Lake Worth, Fla.) also went 2-for-4 with a run and one RBI.
• Valdes tossed 1.2, walking one a striking out four.
• Senior(Palm City, Fla.) tossed the seventh, striking out two.
• Junior(Venice, Fla.) hurled the eighth and struck out a pair, while Perez did not allow a hit, walked two and struck out one.
• The pen combined for 4.2 scoreless innings with nine strikeouts.
• The Bulls become the 11th team in the nation to reach 30 wins this year.
• The Bulls improve to 4-3 on the road and 7-1 in midweek games.
•USF is now 11-6 in games decided by two runs or less this season.
• Of the eight hits tonight, seven came from the 1-4 hitters.
Coach Kingston on the win.
The Bulls travel to Memphis for three games with their conference foes beginning Friday at 7:30 p.m.