Old Dominion Comeback Falls Short As WKU Wins, 35-31

Posted by on in Conference USA Blog

Stephen Williams' potential game-winning Hail Mary was intercepted in the endzone with zero seconds remaining and Old Dominion fell to WKU, 35-31, on Friday evening at Foreman Field at S.B. Ballard Stadium.

Old Dominion (2-5, 0-3 C-USA) carried a 31-21 lead into the fourth quarter, following Ray Lawry's 46-yard touchdown run late in the third. Lawry finished the game with 166 yards and three touchdowns.

However, WKU (5-2, 3-1 C-USA) and veteran quarterback Mike White, who threw for 304 yards and five touchdowns, stormed back in the fourth with White tossing a pair of touchdown passes to push the Hilltoppers ahead, 35-31, with under eight minutes to play.

Williams guided the Monarchs on an 11-play, 53-yard drive into WKU territory, but a bobbled handoff between Williams and Lawry resulted in a turnover and handed the Hilltoppers back the ball with under three to play. ODU forced a three-and-out and took over with 35 seconds to play, but Williams' Hail Mary with zero seconds on the clock was picked off in the endzone.

Overall, ODU outgained WKU, 448-416, and held a three-minute advantage in time of possession.

Ray Lawry got the Monarchs on the board first with a one-yard touchdown run to cap a seven play, 79-yard drive. Lawry opened the game with a 54-yard run and carried three times for 63-yards on the drive. Quarterback Steven Williams Jr. rushed twice for 15-yards, as ODU did not pass on the drive.

WKU tied the scored on a 44-yard touchdown pass from Mike White to Jacquez Sloan. The score capped a four play, 72-yard drive for the Hilltoppers.

The Monarchs took the lead back early in the second quarter as Jeremy Cox capped off an 11 play, 85-yard drive with a nine-yard touchdown run. The big play of the drive was a Williams to Isaiah Harper 31-yard pass play.

WKU tied the score on the following possession with a four-yard pass from White to Yelder to make the score 14-14.

After both teams traded interceptions, White hit Cameron Echols-Luper for his third touchdown of the first half, this one a 13-yarder to give WKU a 21-14 lead late in the first half.

Jeremy Cox also ran for a touchdown for ODU, as the Monarchs outgained WKU, 268-73, on the ground.