Mountaineers beat sPITT

More
11 months 2 weeks ago #360 by wvu4u2
PITTSBURGH, Pa. – The No. 12 West Virginia baseball team jumped out a big lead, Wednesday, before having to hold on late in a 9-8 win over Pitt at Charles L. Cost Field. The Mountaineers complete the Backyard Brawl season sweep and improve to 37-12 while the Panthers fall to 21-25.

After taking over the nation's top batting average over the weekend, sophomore  JJ Wetherholt  raised it even more as he went 3-for-4 with a home run, a double, and two RBI. Redshirt-senior  Caleb McNeely  hit his 11th home run of the season while freshman  Logan Sauve  added two hits and a run scored.

Pitt jumped out to an early 2-0 lead after one inning, but in the second, McNeely blasted a three-run home run the other way to put the Mountaineers out in front.

After the Panthers evened things back up in the fourth, WVU answered with six runs in the fifth to take the lead. It started with a two-run home run from Wetherholt before freshman  Ellis Garcia  added two runs with a single. Sauve followed with another single to score one more before the two freshmen executed a first-and-third double steal.

The Panthers responded with two runs in the fifth before graduate student  Noah Short  and sophomore  Keegan Allen  each put up zeroes in their outings out of the pen. However, in the seventh, Pitt got to the Mountaineer bullpen with three runs to make it a one-run game.

Redshirt-freshman David Hagaman came on in relief in the eighth and retired the Panthers in order with a strikeout. In the ninth, junior Carlson Reed allowed a hit and a walk but struck out three to pick up his sixth save of the season.

The Mountaineers will return to Wagener Field at Monongalia County Ballpark this weekend for the penultimate Big 12 series of the season as they face Texas Tech. First pitch on Friday is set for 6:30 p.m.

For more information on the Mountaineers, follow: WVU SPORTS.com

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
11 months 2 weeks ago #363 by queenszep
Replied by queenszep on topic Mountaineers beat sPITT
The team is almost making me care about baseball. But I know the second that I do, they'll just crush my hopes. Can't fool me!

More
11 months 1 week ago #365 by wvu4u2
Replied by wvu4u2 on topic Mountaineers beat sPITT
that is WVU sports