Which college basketball teams do you consider "Blue Bloods?"

More
2 years 3 months ago #235 by C. Austin Cox
Obviously, the names of "Blue Blood" basketball programs usually looks a little different than your typical lists of "Blue Blood Football Programs." Some schools have come close to pulling off both - like the Ohio State Buckeyes, or maybe the UCLA Bruins decades ago. But to you in particular, what are the absolute, this isn't debateable in your mind, these the are "Blue Bloods of College Basketball" in the modern era?

You're not going to win every race you run. That doesn't mean you just stop running.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
2 years 3 months ago #236 by RedRage
I think there are only 5 true Blue Bloods. UNC, Duke, Kansas, Kentucky., Indiana.
Then you have almost Blue Bloods like UCLA, Louisville, Michigan, Michigan State, Villanova, etc.
I deem a Blue Blood not by the number of championships they've won but by how the fans react when the season is over. The 5 mentioned aren't quite suicidal when basketball season ends but they are none too happy. They might embrace other sports if they are successful but to them basketball is where it's at. As a UL fan I would rather see a single championship in football over several more in basketball. Been there and done that.
The following user(s) said Thank You: C. Austin Cox

More
2 years 3 months ago #237 by The_Manatee
I've decided to define this "~15 years from now, Is it likely they will be a top 3 seed tournament team?" And so my list is UNC, Duke, KU, UK. UCLA, Indiana have been too bad for too long.

More
2 years 3 months ago - 2 years 3 months ago #238 by wvu4u2
I think the term blue bloods has been over used. There are teams that are considered ELITE, but blue bloods would instill dominance over a period of sustained time.

But if I must answer the question: Duke, Kentucky, KU,

were blue bloods, but not anymore. Indiana, UCLA, UNC, UCONN
Last edit: 2 years 3 months ago by wvu4u2.

More
2 years 3 months ago #239 by wvu4u2
One of the biggest debates this college basketball season has been the Blue Bloods of College Basketball. One question that forms from this debate is who are the new types of blood? Here's the decisive guide to answer all questions

Blue Bloods - UNC, Duke, Kansas, Kentucky

Reason: These four teams are the cream of the crop when it comes to College Basketball royalty. Common fans know of their tradition, dominance, and iconic NBA players. Plus their fan bases are...passionate

Requirements: A scoring system that combines regular-season conference titles, consecutive NCAA Tournament appearances, Final Four appearances, and National Championships. UNC (48), Duke (61), Kansas (74), and Kentucky (50) have proved that year in and year out how consistent they are.

New Bloods - Virginia, Gonzaga, Villanova, Michigan

Reason: These four teams are the new-age teams that deserve the respect of casual basketball fans. Although, they don't have the history or quite the passionate fan base they 21st contenders.

Requirements: Besides all four teams having blue in their uniforms, but they all have made deep runs over the past eight years. The Virginia Cavaliers are technically the defending champions. Gonzaga dominates the West Coast Conference, made the 2017 National Championship game, and is currently the number 1 overall seed in the 2021 NCAA Tournament. Villanova won two (2016, 2018) of the last four National Championships. Michigan made the National Championship game twice over the past eight years (2013, 2018).

True Bloods - UCLA, Indiana, Michigan State, UConn

Reason: These four teams had a lot of success during the 1970s-2000s. They aren't consistent enough to be considered a top-tier Blue Blood, but they still have a history that's respected.

All in all, this should clear everything up regarding Blue Bloods and the true tiers in college basketball