5 interesting STATS

More
6 months 3 weeks ago #427 by wvu4u2
5 interesting STATS was created by wvu4u2
We're seven games into the season, so we have a pretty good sample size of what this West Virginia team does well, what it struggles with, and who is playing above expectations as well as who isn't.

Here are five stats I found to be interesting through the first seven games.

Two of the top three leading receivers (not counting tight ends) are former walk-ons.

Equate Rolling Walker For Seniors, Rollator Walker With Seat And
Equate Rolling Walker For Seniors, Rollator Walker With Seat And
Ad
eBay
Devin Carter leads all West Virginia receivers with 311 yards but the next two true receivers on the list are Hudson Clement and Preston Fox. If I told you this back in August, you probably would have looked at me like I was crazy. Cortez Braham didn't do much hauling in just three catches in three games and left the team following the win over Texas Tech. Jeremiah Aaron never took that step the coaching staff needed him to take and he too, walked out the door.

Speaking of Hudson...

Clement is No. 1 in the country in yards per reception at 24.8 ypc. Another interesting part of his production is a third of his receptions (four) have gone for a touchdown.

Garrett Greene's completion percentage

Greene ranks dead last among full-time Big 12 starting quarterbacks in completion percentage (52.2). Nationally, Greene ranks 106th. Fortunately, Greene has been able to make enough plays with his legs while making some throws downfield to make up for the low completion rate. The reality of it is, you're not going to win many games completing half of your passes. Even if he can get this bumped up to 56-57% it will make a huge difference.
Related video: Oklahoma State beats WVU 48-34 (KJRH Tulsa, OK)
Meanwhile, for the 400th time, my Gundy taking part in
Current Time 0:02
/
Duration 2:10
KJRH Tulsa, OK
Oklahoma State beats WVU 48-34
View on Watch
View on Watch
Zero sacks for Sean Martin

Martin recorded the second-most sacks on the West Virginia defense last year with four, just a half a sack behind Dante Stills for the team lead. I knew his name hadn't been called nearly as much behind the line of scrimmage this year but I didn't realize he has yet to get on the board this season in the sack category. West Virginia's front seven has had trouble applying pressure on the QB over the last two games and a large part of that is due to the absence of linebacker Tray Lathan. For things to turn around on that side of the ball, Lesley needs more out of Martin and the others up front.

Beanie Island

Beanie Bishop is No. 1 in the country in pass breakups with 11. He has been a bright spot in what has been a young, inconsistent secondary.

You can follow us for future coverage by liking us on Facebook & following us on X:

Facebook - @MountaineersNow
The following user(s) said Thank You: C. Austin Cox

Please Log in to join the conversation.