(BCSNN) -- Why even have rules in college football anymore? That's the question some are asking as another injunction shows there is little governance left in the sport.

A group of 33 athletes, including former Ole Miss starters Dae’Quan Wright, Zxavian Harris and Wydett Williams, were granted a temporary restraining order that allows them to return to college sports for one more season despite having already signed NFL contracts this summer.

The three former Rebels standouts joined 30 other athletes from multiple sports in a lawsuit filed against the NCAA in Louisiana state court, part of a rapidly expanding wave of legal challenges targeting the association’s new eligibility model.

Sixteen football players are listed as plaintiffs, including several who signed with NFL teams and participated in training camps earlier this month. Wright, Williams and former Oregon State running back Anthony Hankerson are currently listed on NFL rosters with the Browns, Cardinals and Seahawks, respectively.

According to attorney Ryan Downton, those players have expressed interest in being released from their NFL contracts. If their teams release them by Sept. 1, they will be allowed to join a college roster under the restraining order.

Other plaintiffs include former South Carolina safety DQ Smith, LSU linebacker Jack Pyburn, James Madison linebacker Trent Hedrick, and Notre Dame defensive lineman Junior Tuihalamaka.

How the Rule Changed — and Why Athletes Are Suing

In June, the NCAA approved a new eligibility model allowing athletes five seasons of competition within a five‑year window, beginning either when they enroll or the academic year after their 19th birthday. The change eliminates most waivers previously granted for injuries or extenuating circumstances.

However, the Division I Board of Directors chose not to include outgoing seniors who completed four seasons under the old rules, arguing that adding thousands of fifth‑year players would destabilize rosters and displace incoming freshmen who had already signed.

That decision triggered a wave of lawsuits in state and federal courts. Judges in several cases have granted temporary restraining orders allowing athletes to compete while their cases proceed.

The most consequential ruling came July 31, when Colorado federal judge Charlotte Sweeney issued a class‑wide injunction in Wisne v. NCAA, restoring eligibility to all Division I athletes who began their careers in the 2022–23 academic year. NCAA chief legal officer Scott Bearby called the decision “egregious,” saying it “invites further chaos in college sports.”

Sweeney’s order does not override transfer‑window rules or restrictions on athletes who signed professional contracts, meaning players in the Louisiana case must secure their own restraining order to return this season.

The NCAA has appealed Sweeney’s ruling and others issued in recent weeks. An appeals court decision in the Wisne case is expected soon, according to sports law expert Sam Ehrlich, who said athletes are filing cases in multiple states as a safeguard.

“A lot of this is just in case Wisne fails,” Ehrlich said.

Who These Players Are — and Why They Matter

None of the athletes in the suit are NFL stars, which is inherent to their status as undrafted players on the fringes of rosters. But many are notable college contributors who could immediately help programs address depth issues or fill starting roles.

Dae’Quan Wright, a former Ole Miss tight end, is among the most prominent plaintiffs. He earned second‑team All‑SEC honors last season, catching 39 passes for 635 yards in 2025. Wright signed with the Eagles as a free agent, was cut, and later joined the Browns.

Zxavian Harris, a 6‑foot‑8, 330‑pound defensive tackle, started all 15 games for Ole Miss last season, recording 58 tackles, nine tackles for loss, and three sacks. He posted a career‑high 10 tackles against Georgia in the College Football Playoff quarterfinals. He was waived by the Saints in August due in part to a foot injury.

DQ Smith, a four‑year starter at South Carolina, finished his career with 45 starts, 228 tackles, five interceptions, and 11 pass breakups. He tried out for the Vikings earlier this month.

With dozens of cases pending and multiple restraining orders already in effect, the NCAA faces a rapidly shifting legal landscape — and the possibility that a significant number of former college standouts could return to campus this fall.